Help end Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) with an award winning organization recognized by The White House, met President Obama and featured in The Huffington Post.
RAHMA Is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization located in Washington, DC that addresses HIV/AIDS in faith communities through education, advocacy and empowerment.
Why the focus on FGM/C?
According to a study by the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Women's Health and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over a half million women and girls in the US are at risk or survivors of Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C).
How is RAHMA Addressing FGM/C?
RAHMA has partnered with The George Washington University (GWU), through a grant from HHS to address FGM/C in the Washington DC Metropolitan area, where over 51,000 women and girls are at risk. There is an intersection between HIV/AIDS and FGM/C, which allows RAHMA to stay inline with its mission.
RAHMA is seeking a highly-motivated individual to serve as the End FGM Intern for the 2017 Spring Semester. The End FGM intern will work at least 8 hours a week (with opportunities to work more) and report to the Executive Director.
January 30th - April 28 (12 weeks)
- Mondays: 12 pm - 3 pm
- Wednesdays: 12 pm - 3 pm
- Fridays: 12 pm - 4 pm
- Mondays: 12 pm - 5 pm OR Wednesdays: 12 pm - 5 pm
- Fridays: 11 am - 4 pm
- Additional Hours May Be needed for Special Events, etc
- Outreach to at risk communities
- Assist with interviewing women and girls who are at risk or survivors
- Assist with compiling data
- Attend meetings and liaison with our partner GWU
- Engage with partners and community health organizations
- Supervise volunteers related to the project
- Familiarity with sub-Saharan African, Middle Eastern and/or South Asian cultures
- Proficient in Microsoft word, excel and powerpoint
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, able to follow directions, and take initiative when needed
- Outgoing and friendly personality, professional demeanor
- Proficient in Urdu, French, Somali, Wolof, Arabic, or Amharic.
Additional Skills Preferred but not required:
- Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator
- Familiar with Facebook, Twitter and other Social Media platforms