Title: Director of Development
Organizational Description: Founded in 1965, The American Occupational Therapy Foundation seeks to advance the science of occupational therapy through scholarships, grants, and knowledge dissemination.
Location: Bethesda, Maryland.
Salary Range: Competitive and based on experience.
Benefits Include: Medical and dental insurance, HSA, 401K, transportation/parking subsidy, vacation and sick leave and 11 paid holidays per year.
Employment Type: Full-time.
Role and Reporting Relationships: The Director of Development will be responsible for developing and implementing the fundraising strategy for the AOTF. The position holder reports to the Chief Executive Officer, liaises with committees, supervises staff and volunteers, and serves as a member of the senior management team.
- Ability to imagine, plan, coordinate, and execute a major fundraising campaign.
- Uncompromising ethical and business practices.
- Creativity, a bold imagination, and openness to the ideas of others.
- A strong work ethic and dedication to exceeding expectations.
- Knowledge of and compliance with all legal requirements and agency policies.
- Commitment to a safe, clean working environment.
- Ability to work productively and harmoniously with a diverse group of individuals including donors, staff, peers, volunteers, and board members.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak effectively to groups and the ability to write effectively and persuasively using printed or online media.
- Ability to meet or exceed annual campaign goals.
- Demonstrated grant preparation experience.
- Familiarity with donor management software, ideally Talisma Fundraising.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s degree/or equivalent prior experience as determined solely by AOTF.
- 3-5 years of development experience in a service industry or with a nonprofit; proven track record of achieving revenue targets and goals.
- Experience in identifying, cultivating, and closing gifts from donors, especially planned gifts, individual major gifts, and corporate gifts.
- Experience working with senior level executives in a corporate environment.
- Experience with annual and major (multi-year) campaigns.
- Demonstrated organizational partnership-building and event planning experience.
- Experience with e-giving, using various Internet, social networking and digital innovations for fundraising.
Necessary Personal Attributes and Abilities
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Sound judgment, impeccable ethical principles and an ability to maintain discretion and respect confidences.
- Ability to function independently and think strategically, yet simultaneously be a team player with the ability to collaborate with other staff as circumstances require.
- Ability to prioritize workload, continually manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Sense of humor and strong desire to succeed.
- Physical capacities to bend, reach, transport, and use electronic office equipment and travel.
If you are interested and qualified, please send a cover letter with resumé and contact information for 3 persons with current knowledge of your character and qualifications to AOTF at HRDept@aotf.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants to be given further consideration will be contacted.
AOTF is an “at will” employer committed to non-profit best practices.
We enthusiastically conduct our hiring in accordance with equal opportunity guidelines.