Regional Director of the South Central Regional Office (Dallas)
ABOUT LAMBDA LEGAL: Lambda Legal, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the oldest and largest LGBT legal organization in the country. Lambda Legal is committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, and everyone living with HIV, through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Founded in 1973, Lambda Legal has led change through litigation, making America a safer, freer place by decriminalizing LGBT lives; challenging exclusion from the military, the Boy Scouts and marriage; and winning equal rights at work and in public life.
Lambda Legal does not charge clients for legal representation or advocacy, and receives no government funding. The organization has grown to an expert staff of more than 100 in six offices around the country: New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. One of Lambda Legal's most important priorities for the future is to expand the capacity and visibility of our regional work through a substantial investment in Lambda's staff and presence in its regional offices. Lambda Legal opened its South Central Office in Dallas 15 years ago, and is poised to invest in the state and the region.
POSITION: The Regional Director of our Dallas office will be a leader, media spokesperson, fundraiser and central figure in LGBT politics and law in the South Central Region, which includes Texas and the surrounding states. The ideal candidate will have a wide sphere of influence and will be able to step into a role for the only national LGBT organization that invests locally.
The Regional Director will be vocal and visible, ready to challenge those who threaten the LGBT community and those who are impacted by HIV. At Lambda Legal we know how this vital work is done. It is in our DNA. Lambda Legal delivered a landmark Supreme Court decision from Texas, Lawrence v. Texas. But, in spite of our many victories, there remains much work to do.
The candidate will be a leader and a collaborator, working in coalition with organizations like Equality Texas, the Texas Freedom Network, the ACLU of Texas and others - bringing Lambda's authority, credibility and resources to bear to ensure that our communities and our allies understand what is at stake. Our new Regional Director will mobilize our stakeholders to garner public support for our impact litigation efforts against those who threaten the civil rights of our constituencies. The candidate will have mission compatibility and strategic management, be an experienced persuasive leader able to develop and communicate a vision for the future, set priorities and produce measurable long-term results. The Regional Director is responsible for managing an annual budget in excess of $1 million and leading a regional office staff of 8 to 10 employees. The South Central Region features a strong and active donor and volunteer base and a successful annual dinner. There are currently several national board members from this region who will provide strong and steady support for the new Regional Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Reporting to the Lambda Legal CEO in New York, the Regional Director of the South Central Region will provide leadership for the region and oversight of the operational management and finances of the region. The responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement strategies to motivate staff to work across functional roles with a team-centered approach; promote transparency within the office, remove barriers and build an action-oriented work environment; lead by example by anticipating issues in advance and communicating clearly; promote a professional, civil and respectful office environment
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout Lambda Legal Headquarters to share the activities and initiatives of the Dallas office, and leverage the organization’s nationwide profile and resources to benefit LGBT and HIV+ members of the region
- Ensure alignment with Lambda Legal’s strategic direction and its established policies and procedures
- Ensure the region has the systems, tools and supports in place for maximum staff performance and achievement
- Provide oversight to ensure ongoing excellence in program delivery and effectiveness
- Ensure appropriate fiscal controls and procedures are in place to demonstrate transparency and accountability
Advocacy, Visibility and Collaboration
- Position Lambda Legal as the “go to” authority in the region on issues relating to the civil rights of the LGBT community and those whose lives are impacted by HIV
- Develop strategic partnerships with other organizations to promote greater awareness of Lambda Legal’s role in the advancement of civil rights
- Identify, engage and integrate community partners who can assist Lambda Legal in its efforts to engage and educate the larger community
- Develop a thorough understanding of Lambda Legal’s stakeholders, for example, our clients, donors and volunteers
- Create an advocacy strategy and build relationships with state and local government representatives
- Develop effective and ongoing relationships with media and expand Lambda Legal’s visibility
- In collaboration with colleagues throughout the organization, develop effective strategies for increasing the scope of the organization through social media
- Ensure the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to the community and relevant stakeholders
- Seek opportunities for public speaking to promote visibility. Be committed to being very visible in the community, including attending community events throughout the state, as the “face” of the organization
- Ensure there is a development strategy that will strengthen and diversify funding sources
- Personally build and maintain key relationships to ensure the development strategy is achieved
- Expand revenue from Lambda Legal’s existing donor base in Dallas and Houston
- Develop and implement a strategy for fundraising elsewhere in the state and region
- Steward major donors in the region
- Evaluate current special events for value and engagement, and implement any needed changes in collaboration with national events team
- Build diversified revenue streams beyond special events; explore new and innovative ways to enlarge the donor base by educating and cultivating prospective donors
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- A demonstrated commitment to the civil rights of the LGBT community and those impacted by HIV
- Significant success as a leader in issue-oriented work, preferably in the non-profit arena
- Prior experience in advocacy across a range of spectrums, for example, public appearances, media interviews, seminars, and other forums
- A successful track-record of managing individuals and teams
- A substantiated track-record in development and fundraising
- Experience with income and expense procedures and reporting and analysis
- Outcome driven and pro-active, with the ability to respond effectively to changing circumstances and priorities
- A proven track record of engaging with, recruiting, and retaining high-level volunteers
- Experience in donor database management, a plus; Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Travel required (approximately 20%), across the region and to the national Lambda Legal office in New York
- Possess the following personal attributes: Trustworthy, Strategic, Organized, Results-driven, Self-starter, Inclusive, Transparent, Collaborative
A competitive salary is offered, commensurate with experience. The position comes with excellent benefits including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, as well as generous vacation and employer contribution to retirement account. Consideration may be extended for relocation expenses.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBT, HIV and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people with disabilities, including those living with HIV, are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com subject: Lambda Legal Director