The Valerie Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization based in Maplewood, New Jersey with a mission to support comprehensive health care services for children with cancer and blood disorders. Established in 1976, The Valerie Fund supports seven hospital based Valerie Fund Centers, Camp Happy Times, a free camp for children fighting cancer, as well as survivorship and scholarship programs in support of these same children and their families. With an annual budget of over $4 million, we are seeking a Director of Development responsible for organizing, planning and directing the organization’s development activities and fundraising communications, including the annual fund, direct mail, and major gifts programs, and periodic capital campaigns. The Development Director reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with both the Executive Director and Board of Trustees on all development and fundraising activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop annually, a written, growth-oriented, fundraising, development communications and stewardship plan with measurable performance goals.
- Direct the annual fund including all online development and direct mail activities.
- Grow an established major gifts program including identifying and cultivating new donors as well as soliciting, growing and stewarding current major donors.
- Direct all capital campaign activities and all other development related fundraising activities.
- Prioritize and manage prospect research.
- Oversee and direct all aspects of grant funding opportunities including research, grant-writing and all follow-up reporting.
- Oversee and manage all Raiser’s Edge database activities.
- Direct and engage with a three-person Development Department in all aspects of donor development, including fundraising, acknowledgment and recognition and stewardship.
- Partner with and empower the Board of Directors and other volunteers to be effective fundraisers.
- Plan and manage select program-based major donor special events.
- Plan and direct The Valerie Fund’s development communications, including its annual report.
- Provide periodic reports to the Executive Director as requested.
- Stay current on trends, best practices and essential laws and regulations impacting nonprofit fundraising.
Requirements, Experience and Characteristics
The Valerie Fund is looking for someone with the highest of ethical standards, self-confidence, good listening skills, the ability to motivate others and the desire to work hard and have fun. If you possess these characteristics and have the following, we encourage you to apply for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of five years of senior level development and fundraising experience
- Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience as well as proficiency in Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as excellence in written and spoken communications
- Desire to seek out and foster new relationships benefiting The Valerie Fund’s mission
- Being a self-starter with a sense of humor and passion for our mission is a big positive
Salary information and Benefits
Salary is very competitive within the region and commensurate with experience and job qualifications. The Valerie Fund has a strong benefits package that includes health insurance, Simple IRA with an employer match, paid holidays and vacation.
To apply for the position, email your resume with a cover letter stating your salary requirement to email@example.com.