All successful men were once boys, but not all boys become successful men. Boys Home of Virginia strives to provide positive role models and supportive services that enable under-privileged boys to be successful and to become role models themselves. Boys Home is seeking a Director of Development to advance this effort.
For over a century, Boys Home has provided care for young men in a healthy, supportive residential environment, offering services and guidance that help every resident develop his spiritual, mental, physical, and social potential to become a satisfied and productive member of society. Operating on the five core values of Respect, Wisdom, Discipline, Curiosity, and Responsibility, Boys Home provides a rich learning and nurturing environment that embodies the best values it seeks to promote in the young men that it cares for.
Boys Home of Virginia has recently made two major strategic changes to achieve this goal: it has transformed itself from a transitional residential home to a degree-granting educational institution while also developing a new trade program that lets boys pursue technical careers as well as further educational opportunities. As it implements these transformations, it seeks new funding models to support their success.
The Director of Development will serve as the primary strategic architect of a comprehensive development program that aims to gradually and sustainably double annual philanthropic revenue over the next 3 to 5 years. Boys Home’s development department currently secures approximately $1.2M from grants, direct mail appeals aligned with holidays and school functions, and a small group of planned giving donors. Working closely with the Board of Trustees and the Executive Director, the Director of Development will lead a team of three fundraisers in the design and execution of a plan to expand current initiatives and build a major gifts program that sustains Boys Home for generations to come.
The ideal Director of Development will have:
- 7 to 10 years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, including at least 4 years in a frontline fundraising role soliciting major gifts.
- Track record of building a major gift program and securing 5- and 6-figure gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute a moves management process that expands a donor base and builds a major donor pipeline.
- Ability to engage prospects in planned giving opportunities, with prior success securing bequests and a general knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Experience establishing strong relationships with executive leaders and volunteer Boards.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic community in Virginia is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; some experience in a faith-based institution is useful but not required.
DRi is leading this search for Boys Home of Virginia. For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.driconsulting.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.