Based in Bozeman, MT
Management Recruiters - Mid Hudson Valley is an executive search firm focused solely on serving the nonprofit sector. We have a national practice and the large majority of our placements are executive leadership and senior fundraising professionals.
Our client is HAVEN (http://havenmt.org/). Founded in 1979, HAVEN is the nonprofit serving survivors of domestic violence in Gallatin County, Montana. HAVEN started as a small nonprofit focused on sheltering survivors, but a strong commitment to social justice and a grassroots approach has helped HAVEN become a leader in the field of rural domestic violence prevention and intervention. HAVEN has an ambitious vision for the future, one in which everyone is safe in their relationship. HAVEN is seeking an experienced fundraiser to play an active role in increasing fundraising capacity and sustainable growth.
HAVEN has retained us to recruit and place an experienced, skilled Development Director with them.
HAVEN seeks a Development Director who will encourage community engagement and support for survivors of domestic violence. The Development Director will strengthen community involvement in HAVEN through collaboration between donors, staff, Board and volunteers. HAVEN is dedicated to maintaining an organizational culture that is built upon shared values of respect, inclusivity and commitment to ending domestic violence. The Development Director will be a strong player who strives to help everyone at the organization reach their full potential.
This position is responsible for overseeing all of HAVEN’s fundraising efforts, including the capital campaign for a new facility, major gifts program, annual fund, and planned giving. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for securing the funds necessary to fulfill HAVEN’s mission.
Located in Bozeman, MT, Haven is surrounded by the beautiful Bridger Mountain Range and boasts numerous outdoor recreational opportunities. With two world-class ski resorts located within an hour’s drive, two vibrant art festivals held in the Summer, an opera, ballet and symphony, it’s no surprise that Bozeman regularly garners national attention from publications such as National Geographic, Forbes, and Outside Magazine. Education is a priority among residents, and Bozeman High School consistently ranks in the top 6% of schools nationwide. A September 2016 New York Post article ranked Bozeman the #1 best town to live in, stating: “For outdoor enthusiasts, it’s hard to beat this Rocky Mountain city of 43,000, a population that keeps growing. World-class skiing, rafting, fishing and hiking are all close by; Yellowstone National Park is an easy day trip; and there’s sunshine an average of 300 days a year. Bozeman is also culturally vibrant, with educated residents – Montana State University has a campus here with over 16,000 students – a strong tech industry and a thriving Main Street.”
- Lead and collaborate with staff, Board members, Capital Campaign Task Force and volunteers to successfully raise $8 million to fund the building of HAVEN’s new facility.
- As HAVEN’s programs grow, secure new funding sources to ensure the organization’s sustainability.
- Work with Executive Director to write grants for HAVEN’s capital campaign.
- Coordinate HAVEN’s Capital Campaign Task Force to identify and build relationships with new and existing donors.
- Handle capital campaign logistics.
- Build a strong donor stewardship program to increase donor engagement and loyalty.
- Manage and guide HAVEN’s Development Coordinator in event planning and appeals.
Direct Services: (5%)
- Attend HAVEN’s training on domestic violence.
- Develop a strong understanding of domestic violence advocacy and be prepared to provide support to survivors.
- Create a communications plan that works in tandem with HAVEN’s development plan.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills by providing community and donor feedback to HAVEN’s leadership.
Organizational Leadership: (10%)
- Create development plan that aligns with and supports with the Board’s strategic plan.
- Work with the Board of Directors to provide training and support necessary to increase their capacity for fundraising.
- Mentor and educate the organization as a whole on fundraising best practices and the importance of fundraising to meet HAVEN’s mission.
- Help create a culture of philanthropy within HAVEN.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience in nonprofit or private sector management, with an emphasis on fundraising.
- Proven success in executing fund raising campaigns, particularly capital campaigns and major and planned giving.
- Strong understanding of how to build an endowment.
- Enthusiasm for a positive representation of the mission of HAVEN.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Marketing skills and experience.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Display of positive attitude, show concern for people and the community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening abilities.
- Willingness to build relationships with new and existing donors.
- Willingness to travel regionally and meet with 12-15 donors per month.
- Master’s Degree.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification.
- Experience working with victims of domestic violence.
- Knowledge of eTapestry Software.
- Comfortable working in basic design software.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Some evening and weekend work will be required. As per the Montana Wrongful Discharge of Employment Act, there is a six month probation period for this position.
HAVEN offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
HAVEN strives for a fully inclusive work environment and provides equal opportunities for all employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status.
If you are interested in this excellent career opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter (Word documents only, please) to:
Executive Vice President
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley