Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Major Gifts Coordinator works under the supervision of the Operations Program Manager, Major Gifts. The core priorities for this role will be coordinating donor activities with Earthjustice leadership, assisting with Earthjustice Board and Council work plans and coordination, and working with the Major Gifts Operations team to ensure processes related to donor giving are running smoothly and information is reflected accurately.
This position requires a self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. S/he must have the ability to use learned skills and understanding of program to initiate and help develop new systems over time. The Major Gifts Coordinator must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and be highly detail‐oriented.
The Major Gifts Coordinator will perform a variety of administrative tasks, including but not limited to meeting logistics and scheduling, writing and copy-editing assignments, assisting with gift acknowledgement processes, and advanced spreadsheet management. They will have frequent interaction with staff members within the organization; and occasional interaction with donors and members of the Board and Council.
This position is based in our headquarters located in San Francisco, CA.
Donor Activity Coordination for Major Gifts Team (50%)
- Coordinate personalized stewardship activities for Earthjustice’s most generous donors in conjunction with fundraiser and Donor Engagement Team.
- Manage funding reminders to donors in multi-year commitments.
- Assist in bi-annual fundraising efforts, including solicitation mailings and emails from leadership.
- Coordinate strategic communications from leadership to major gift supporters.
- Create and implement donor activity calendar for Earthjustice leadership.
- Partner with Development Operations team to ensure donor giving is accurately entered.
- Ensure donor strategies process and calendar is streamlined and up to date.
Board and Council Work Plans and Support (40%)
- Collaborate across development teams in the preparation, execution, follow-up, and cleanup for annual volunteer work plans for Earthjustice’s Board and Council.
- Support organization’s efforts with the Earthjustice Council, including scheduling quarterly calls and meetings, administrative support for annual meetings, and other duties as needed in conjunction with Operations Program Manager and Council Manager.
Responsiveness to Administrative Requests (10%)
- Assist other team members with tasks, projects and assignments as need.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of eight years of relevant experience required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in Development preferred.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Superior communication skills, including demonstrated experience writing effective correspondence, reports, proposal and other print collateral.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including Board members, donors, volunteers, the public and staff. Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Database management skills required with ability to produce reports and to use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Strong working knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or donor database is highly preferred.
- Experience with PowerPoint Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, or other desktop publishing programs desirable.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, Board members, and colleagues and in handling confidential information.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Sense of humor desired.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a cover letterand resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.